Tuesday 19 May 2009

Update on life as we know it ...

I reached new professional heights this week when I was on the phone to our advertising agency. I was giving some amendments for some advert copy and I said the following;

“Yes, put a curly ‘c’ in front of the salary?”

As I said it, I knew I had forgotten that I was indeed speaking to a 40+ year old man and not my 4 year old daughter. I hastily ended the conversation and put down the phone. I then had an ‘I carried a watermelon’ moment (Haven't you seen Dirty Dancing?).

I am starting to notice changes to my body. So far this week I have noticed huge wrinkles around my eyes when I smile to myself in the mirror. Please note I do not spend time smiling at myself in the mirror, it was an accidental find. Nor do I chant 'Go get them Laura, you are the fabulous!' three times before I go to work.


Clearly these lines are caused by laughing. I like to laugh. I do not like the wrinkles. Also, nasal hair. After 30 years of just being there out of view it's suddenly grown. At the grand age of 30 is it time to invest in some anti ageing creams and find some way to stop the nasal hair before I can plait it upwards and into my eyebrows. Not an attractive look.

We have a house, the dream house in fact. Hooray! We move in 4ish weeks. I am particularly excited by the fact that we will have a dishwasher after 3 years without and a normal persons bath. We currently have a corner bath, being tall means this is not remotely comfortable.

I have started de-cluttering the house. A natural hoarder, I have found de-cluttering quite cathartic. I pick on a room armed with a bin liner and get rid of anything that has no use.

The 4 year old is fine, a little wobbly about the new house but she will be fine. "You'll have a bigger bedroom" I keep saying animatedly with a big smile as if that will make her feel more at ease.

She has said to me on three separate occasions this week that she doesn't like her dreams, that they are always bad. I have started giving her happy memories to think about when she starts to think about her bad dreams. The latest one was when I was pregnant with her and she kept me and the husband amused of an evening by hiccuping from within. She thinks this is amusing and I have told her it will ward off the bad dreams. Let's see how long that lasts.

She is still skipping with her rope at every opportunity and lassoing random people in the school playground. She keeps her skipping rope in a powder pink shoe box she got from school ... "It's the skipping ropes house". Who am I to argue.

The 3 year old is fine and dandy. He seems unfazed by our house move. He has recently added to his people collection (Mickey Mouse and Tramp) and soon will not be able to get into bed for his people. He has his post op (grommets) check on Friday which I'm sure will go fine. I'm paranoid that his hearing has dropped again ... it could be selective. If only they could do something about his foghorn voice and his snoring too ... Jeez ... the snoring. Each snore shakes the house.

He loves pre-school, more so when it doesn't rain and he can play outside on the bikes, pulling wheelies and handbrake turns, much to the horror of 'the ladies' as he affectionately calls them. He thinks it's OK to burp every time we sit down for a family meal, but it's alright because he says 'excuse me'.

The Husband doesn't burp during family meals or snore, in fact he makes no noise when he sleeps. Occasionally I have to check that he is even breathing. This week he has discovered Twitter, Wordpress and that he doesn't like iced muffins. he is designing a new website (to be unveiled sometime soon) for his freelance work and is about to embark on redesigning my blog. All this rain has accelerated the cabbages, peas and onions in his vegetable patch which he will be unable to transport to the new house. A case of 'look at what you could have won'.


The Tadpoles worry me and I think we shall be leaving them here. We had 30 tadpoles, stolen from Auntie Kate's pond. I thought it would be great for the children to see them morph into frogs. They are currently living on the decking in a large box. I feed them, but they much prefer the taste of fresh tadpole. We now have around 12 giant tadpoles.

17 comments:

Ian Newbold said...

Excellent news on the move. And may you laughter wrinkles get bigger, and probably moistened a bit by some expensive pig mucus or similar.

Exmoorjane said...

Love the curly C (what IS a curly c?) and the watermelon carrying moment....
AM so with you on the extraneous hair (and wrinkles) - mine is on my hands and feet (think I blogged about it pre-Disney) and ready to be braided and plaited (but then I'm a generation older than you so it's allowed). Let's just not get into hair in other parts of the body - remembering this is not a Linda blog.
Hurrah for the house!
Aw no for bad dreams in little girls....I had foul nightmares as a child. Could try a dreamcatcher?
Yup, I know, on par with auras.
Have the same problem in our house with the burping (but in my case it's a 52 year old and a 10 year old - not pretty).
God, this is turning into an essay. Very relieved I didn't stumble over here last night - though sounds a bit as if I'm still drunk!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

New house? Fun! (once your packed and unpacked that is) but how exciting. Lately Gapetto has to leave the bed because of MY HORRENDOUS SNORING! seems I've developed quite the ongoing sinus thing. YIPES. Glad I'm married and not dating...could be a deal breaker.

Expat mum said...

Oh bugger the wrinkles!
When we moved (almost 6 years ago) one of mine thought he had to leave all his toys behind. It took me ages to discover why he was so unhappy.

mhatrey said...

Matter of fact,... your husband is really nice person

and you both are lucky enough to have each other...

I like your blogging spirit and wish you and your family shear Luck

- Amen

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Exciting news about the new house. I would love to move - though last time I did say 'Never again!'I like wrinkles. Yes, I'm odd. I would like more. I worry that I can't laugh enough or express my emotions facially because I should have many more wrinkles by now. Yes, as I said, I'm odd.

Mum's the word said...

Loved the blog.
I'm 40 and am coming to terms with my wrinkles. I'm with you, I like to call them laughter lines and they definitely tell my story.
Congrats on the house move.
Hope all goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

I love the curly 'c' comment too!
Don't start me off on the whole topic og ageing. I started investing in Clarins last year after noticing my face ageing on a daily basis. The lady at the counter described me as a Skincare Virgin. Bloody cheek!

AGuidingLife said...

hey - welcome to your "when did that wrinkle appear" 30's!!!

Take note of expat mum, when we moved my daughter was 4 and it took me ages to find out her silent fear was that some of her thingss didn't come with her. (I blame Toystory) I know I told her 1000's time a day they did but she never really settled until after we had finally moved - have patience with them. x

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, curly c. That was definitely a water melon moment but a very cute one. Brill news on the move, and I'm sure your little ones will be ok. Miss E used to hiccup in the womb. It's cute at first isn't it, but then when it shakes your whole body it gets less cute. :D

Milla said...

I read all that in a nodding sort of way and then see that you are THIRTY at which point all sympathy dropped away pronto. Although, actually, you could be in deep trouble and are well to worry if you truly are this trogolydyte (sp??) so young. Hmmm, bad luck. (tee hee)

DKC said...

Congratulations on the house! I'm sure the kiddos will adapt just fine.

"I carried the watermelon" made me laugh out loud this morning! I'm going to be thinking of that all day.

I feel your pain about the nose hair, it's ridiculous!

Maybe tadpole slime is good for wrinkles? You could start a whole new trend.

Z said...

If you thread a length of cotton onto a chunk of meat (liver is good) and suspend it into the box of tadpoles, they will cluster round and suck the juices out and not eat each other. If you could go back to Auntie Kate's pond and get a good big container full of pond water, that should contain plenty of little organisms that the tadpoles can eat. They also need natural water to grow into frogs - I think it's iodine or something - otherwise they can just get bigger and bigger but remain tadpoles.

Z said...

Oh, Exmoorjane, it's a curly cuh as opposed to a kicking kuh.

Experimental Mum said...

Loved your post. I to had a curly "c" moment, when speaking on the phone to my accountant. It still makes me cringe...

The wife of bold said...

I love the reference to dirty dancing - i have several watermelon moments a day, it must be the a blond thing or maybe the name, my "real" name is laura too:)Love your blog it's too funny x

Kelly said...

My husband suggested getting the house valued this week. It makes me very nervous as after 2 years we have just got it finished and we have a baby due in under 8 weeks. I am not moving!!!